Sunday 21 July 2013

Maximum Chrysanthemums!

Yesterday I spent the day at the wonderful Sew Over It in Clapham. I had a whole day to make a maxi dress, learn new skills, meet other like minded folk and be inspired by the wonderful Lisa Comfort herself!



A few weeks ago I visited Fabrics Galore and found the perfect material, a beautiful cotton lawn from Liberty called 'Meandering Chrysanthemums'

Our lesson started with a quick measure - gulp - size determined, we set about cutting out our pattern then pinning and cutting out the fabric.



Alongside being given thorough instructions, Lisa led us through each step - explaining why and how. With just three of us in the class we got loads of attention, especially with fiddly bits and it didn't take long for the dress to come together. One of the most satisfying bits was using an overlocker (serger in the US!). It was ace! It managed to make short work of even the most shabby seams resulting in a professional effect - I want one.


And here it is, the finished product. A beautiful, perfectly fitting new frock that I made myself! All I need now is a skinny red belt to cinch in the waist and some matching red shoes. My outfit for a September wedding - sorted. Now I possess a tailored pattern it won't be long until other versions are knocked up!






No comments:

Post a Comment