Monday 26 May 2014

...she be fierce

We've been in the house a while now and there is still plenty to do - but we're getting there. With limited time and funds the smaller jobs are easier to tick off the list.




I've really like the idea of a phrase or quote on Sophie's wall but didn't like the decals I'd seen - too cutsey or twee for me and my gal. I decided to hand paint it and as soon as I saw this quote I knew it was perfect for her:

'And though she be but little, she is fierce'

The quote is from Shakespeare's 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' (Act 3 scene 2) (she's shouting at me as I type this!)

Although this task has been simple there are several steps here's how I did it.

Once I had my words I needed to find the look and right font. I knew i wanted it to be handwritten but didn't want anything with too many flourishes. It needed to reflect the sentiment. From my pinterest board of fonts I found the perfect free one, BlackJack via Formal Fringe.

I downloaded the font and then typed out my quote in size 72 letters. I then printed this at 100%. I stuck the pages together, making sure that all the pages aligned perfectly and cutting out any bigger gaps where words started on the next page.

I then used masking tape to stick to my wall, checking it was straight and in the perfect place.


Next I used some carbon paper (bought on Amazon for less than £2) and slipped a sheet between the paper and wall. Using a ballpoint pen I traced over the outline of my words, pressing super hard to make sure I left a visible print.


Next was the fun bit - colouring in! I used my gold flat paint first (two coats) and then finished with two coats of gold glitter.




No comments:

Post a Comment