Our Christmas cake this year may be a simple design, but it is one that has utilised a Dymo label maker!
I found the cake decorations at Marks and Spencer and decided a polar scene would be perfect.
My wavy-snow icing was done by rolling out a sheet of fondant icing onto a piece of grease-proof paper. By drawing a circle (using the cake baking tin) on the paper I knew how big the top of the cake was and could make sure the icing was the right size. I then used a pizza wheel cutter to cut a wavy line. I fixed the icing in place with some warmed up apricot jam.
I made the igloo by gluing mini marshmallows to a ball of icing. I used the left over white to make the body of the igloo and a small piece of black for the entrance. The wood-pile are just mint chocolate sticks!
My signpost was made from a small piece of corkscrew with a wooden skewer. The Dymo signs were stuck onto cardboard and then attached to the stick with masking tape.
Monday, 21 December 2015
My homemade festive wreath started with this natural rattan wreath from Hobbycraft.
By opting for a natural material one I didn't need to completely cover it. It was a good price if it didn't work out! I also used some florist tape and soft wire I already had.
I collected pieces of foliage from my garden. I found pieces about 30cm long were a perfect as length as some were cut down to make small bundles.
I used the tape to make small bundles then attached to the wreath base with the wire.
I left the top section free to add a ribbon - using a piece of Dewar tartan wool to make a bow.
The final wreath in place on our front door. I'm really pleased with how it looks and it took about half an hour to make.
I'll keep the wreath so I can reuse it next year and come up with something different.
Sunday, 13 December 2015
Sophie is going to be the Christmas Fairy in the nursery show this year - a big role, as you can imagine. So Sunday morning finds me with some tights, wire hangers and the glue gun - here is how I made her wings:
two wire hangers
needle & thread
I started by shaping my hangers, then using pliers, I twisted the handles together.
I covered the know of wires with a square of felt - sewing the tube shut.
I cut the tights into two and used the bottom section to cover each wing.
I sewed two lengths of elastic (42cm / 16.5") to make loops and stitched the loops through the tights and felt in place.
I then used the glue gun to attach tinsel to the edge of wings.
I used a metre of thick green ribbon to make a bow in the middle.
Then finished with some green and silver glitter glue.
The Christmas fairy will be ready for the show.
Saturday, 5 December 2015
Tuesday, 1 December 2015
Last week I delivered my latest quilt to the Mary Ann Evans Hospice in Nuneaton. It was with the support of the Hospice at Home team that Dad was able to spend his last days with us, at home. Without their kindness and professionalism those difficult days could have been so much harder. I wanted to create a quilt that they could use to help their fundraising. I used their sunflower logo as my inspiration.
Each of the 12 sunflowers uses a brown, orange and yellow fabrics. The background 'field' are strips of beautiful greens.
I've had a lovely email from the Hospice team:
"Just wanted to pass on our thanks for the quilt that you dropped off on Saturday! We LOVE it and it will be great for a prize in 2016, our 25th Anniversary Year! As it quite summery, we have decided that it will be raffled nearer the summer either as a prize at our ball or as part of our Garden Party. We really are very grateful for such a lovely gift that has clearly taken a lot of time and dedication to complete"
So watch this space for an update on how much it raises!
My helpful assistant was a little short to hold the quilt but did a great job, even though she insisted on being in the shot!